[pp.int.general] Finland's Pirate Party Enters Official Party Register

Philip Hunt cabalamat at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 20 03:18:40 CEST 2009

2009/8/19 Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) <rick at piratpartiet.se>:

>> "We are absolutely against the idea that any political party can give
>> their support
>> to the idea of free use of protected content," said Arto Alaspää, the
>> director of
>> IFPI Finland (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry).
>
> IFPI is absolutely opposed to the fact that a political party is allowed
> to support a particular idea? Does he even understand himself what he
> just said? I'm not sure if a "yes" or "no" answer is scarier.

It's easy to dismiss this as a one-off comment, but other leaders of
rightsholder organisations have said similar things in the past, for
example Dean Garfield of the MPAA said in 2007: "There’s nothing about
what the Pirate Bay does or what the Pirate Party does that is
legitimate."

http://cabalamat.wordpress.com/2007/09/12/mpaa-says-democracy-is-not-legitimate/

Fundamentally, they don't believe in democracy, they want their
obsolete business models to be propped up forever, however much it
warps society to do it.

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at googlemail.com>
Campaigns Officer / Press Officer, Pirate Party UK