[pp.int.general] Let's start a translation team and the structure needed for international cooperation and news exchange

Robin Jacobs info at jacobs-translations.de
Thu Aug 20 22:13:40 CEST 2009

Hello,

I am new to this list. I want to improve the cooperation and exchange of
information between the Pirate parties worldwide, which is absolutely
necessary as parts of our party programmes can only be realized on an
international level. For this, we need a translation team to translate
texts and publish the translations. The texts to be translated will be
the party programmes, those party press releases which are most
important or have an international focus, and the publicity posters,
videos etc.

This team will serve several purposes:
1. Give Pirates a rough insight and keep them informed about the stand
of the art of the other Pirate parties.
2. Create an international pool with Pirate party Ads which the parties
can use directly or as a source of inspiration (which saves money and/or
time and may improve the quality).
3. Make the party programmes understandable and comparable for everyone
and.
4. Bring us closer together in spite of national frontiers.
5. Create the base so that the programmes can be "harmonized" as far as
it is necessary or useful.
6. Provide an overview of what topics are most important to the other
pirate parties.
7. Provide an overview of how developed the pirate parties are in other
countries.

The tasks are:
A. Build the necessary structure for this organization
B. Translate informational official Pirate parties' press releases
concerning important international or national Pirate party developments
and send (a link of) the original and the translation to the other
Pirate parties and any interested person once it's proofread and maybe
approved by the author party. No spam, just the really important
information. This would best be done in form of a newsletter. As well,
publish these press releases on a PPI translators' platform (or even
better, on the PPI blog itself).
C. Take care of an international PirateWiki or something like this,
which serves to look up information about the national parties.
D. Translate party programmes and publish the translations in this
centralized international PirateWiki or whatever it will be
E. Same with publicity.
F. Lots and lots of translations, of course. And subtitling of
advertisement videos.

Coordination and organization:
It would be appropriate and useful if this team is part of the PPI, I
think. I do not know, however, how the PPI is organized or if it has any
formal or informal structures at all yet, apart from this mailinglist
and its blog with a forum. If not, a translation team can also work
independently from the PPI and just stay in close contact to it, or the
pirate parties may each have their own team or build teams of several
countries sharing the same language (Hispanoamerica,
Germany/Austria/Switzerland etc.).
No matter how we do it, we should make clear that no work will be done a
thousand times in order to save our cherished free time for other party
tasks or for the simple joy of life.

What I can offer:
- professional translations from French into German and acceptable
translations the other way
- professional translations from English into German and acceptable
translations the other way
- professional translations from Spanish into German and bad
translations the other way
- acceptable translations from any of the above languages into French or
English
- bad but understandable translations from any of the above languages
into Spanish
however, I only have a limited amount of free time so I cannot do it all.

What I am looking for:
- Translators and proof-readers, especially for translations into English
- people who might help me install and take care of an international
informational PirateWiki or who might do it themselves (I am not a
computer nerd, so it is not that easy for me). Maybe the PPI blog may be
expanded so that it can  offer a small kind of party programmes' and
histories' encyclopedia, I do not know who runs it and have not found
any E-mail address on the PPI page where I could write.
- The same help for an international Youtube Pirate platform etc.
- The same help for whatever works best for online translators' and
proofreaders' team work on a text
- Someone who will moderate a corresponding newsletter for the national
Pirate parties and any interested person.
- Someone to coordinate the translation tasks or to monitor whether the
swarmlike self-coordination as we know it of our Pirate parties works,
or maybe this will even run quite well on its own. I will not have much
time to coordinate this over a long period of time, but I can do this at
the beginning if nobody else has the time.

Or is there already a mailing list or organization for this kind of
cooperation?

Best wishes,

Robin