[pp.int.general] First elected pirates in Germany

Jens Seipenbusch seipenbusch at web.de
Mon Aug 31 10:48:42 CEST 2009

Yes its confirmed now, that we have 1 seat in each of those city
councils. In Münster we were very close to a 2nd seat even.

If any of you wants to circulate the news its going like this:

(edited Google translation of:
http://www.gulli.com/news/wahlen-piraten-ziehen-in-2009-08-30/)

--
Pirates move into city councils

At today's local elections in North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW), the pirates
were successful in Münster and Aachen. In Saxony, the way to a mandate
is still long.

The Pirates have done in the two cities in which they were standing in
the local elections in North Rhine-Westphalia on the ballot, the entry
into the city council. In Munster, the party won 1.55 percent of the
vote, in Aachen, even 1.75 percent of the electorate voted for the
pirates. Thus, the two regional leading candidates Marco Langenfeld
(Munster) and Thomas Gerger (Aachen) move in to the respective city
councils.

These numbers are impressive especially since the party in these cities
was not lined up in every district. In Münster, the pirates were lined
up in 18 out of 33, in Aachen, even in just 8 of 32 voting districts.
The Aachen Pirates won in all constituencies in which they set out, more
than six percent. So that they exceeded in seven of eight
constituencies, the FDP (liberals), and were thus fourth strongest party.

Compared to the European elections in early June, the Pirates have
gained substantially. At that time they won in Munster 1.1 percent and
1.7 percent of the vote in Aachen - city-wide, however.

Also in the regional elections in Saxony the pirates were on the ballot.
There, they won 1.9 percent of the vote once again 0.8 percentage points
more than in the European elections. A hollow victory achieved here in
Dresden, where 3.4 percent of voters opted for the pirate party.

In the two other regional elections held today in Saarland and Thuringia
the pirates were not lined up, since they only recently formed
associations there.

--

best regards
Jens