[pp.int.general] map of intellectual property rights in lund

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Tue Dec 8 04:44:38 CET 2009

> Whatever it is, is there a way to describe it which doesn't use the
> propaganda term "intellectual property"?  Lumping together copyrights
> and patents is always confusing, and that's not counting all the other
> "intellectual property" laws.
>
> Perhaps we need to hijack the term "intellectual Property" in the same way
> we're hijacking the term "pirate" and give it a more realistic image;

The true, practical risk is that "intellectual property" becomes a legally
recognised form of property, instead of a generic designation similar to
"criminal law" or "private law". Any replacement *by a single term* suffers
from the same problem.

Actually the risk already materialised in some EU directives, e.g. the
enforcement directive (IPRED1). The perception may emerge that a fruits of
human creativity are protected - while actually most lawyers agree that only
specific forms of intellectual property are protected AS AN EXCEPTION TO THE
RULE OF INFORMATION FREEDOM. The corollary is that there are no "unwritten"
intellectual property rights. But some writers tend to disagree. There are
some borderline rights. Trade names, domain names, slavish imitation,
know-how (as far as not protected by patents). There is a clash between the
"protection" paradigm and the freedom of competion paradigm. If you really
prefer full protection against competition, move to North Korea.

Another problem is the gradual extension of the Theft concept in criminal
law. Originally one could steal only real things. One can also steal
electricity (it is even codified in German law, and in my country it was
recognised by the Supreme Court in 1921). The proper word for intellectual
property has always been: infringement - but why not call it theft too?
Record company lobbyists (RIAA, IFPI) already do. Criminal provisions for
fencing already apply e.g. to copyright.

Some people don't understand that information is really something very
different than material goods. There is a law of conservation of matter
(mass), but no law of conservation of information (I am referring to laws of
physics here, of course!)

reinier