[pp.int.general] map of intellectual property rights in lund

Edison Carter the.real.edison.carter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 04:19:53 CET 2009

Whatever it is, is there a way to describe it which doesn't use the

> propaganda term "intellectual property"?  Lumping together copyrights
> and patents is always confusing, and that's not counting all the other
> "intellectual property" laws.  Whatever useful thing this tour may do,
> surely it would be better to split it into a tour of copyrights, a
> tour of patents, a tour of trademarks, and other such tours.

Perhaps we need to hijack the term "intellectual Property" in the same way
we're hijacking the term "pirate" and give it a more realistic image;

"The idea that a person or entity should be given a government granted
monopoly allowing them to control future distribution or use of a recorded
sound or image, or an idea or the expression of an idea by virtue of being
the person who happened to record that sound or image, or claim to be the
first to write down or express that idea."

I think this mostly covers the concept of both copyright and patents.
Trademarks are a little harder to lump in (and for the most part I don't
disagree with the idea of trademarks anyway)