[pp.int.general] Microsoft DraftsConsumersInFightAgainstSoftware Piracy: Carrot And Stick

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Tue Dec 8 04:55:34 CET 2009

> You didn't get an explicit contract?
> So, you dind't see the license screen during the setup? If you click
> accept, thats you accepting the license. If you click cancel, you then
> ask Asus for the refund.

Thankx, good to know for the next time. Frabkly, I am so used to push "yes"
if I am asked whether I agree with the conditions that I don't even think of
pushing "no".

That reminds me of the problems I once had with advertising malware on my
computer. Surprisingly, I was not difficult to trace the origin. I called
the office and complained. The response: you must have agreed with the
installation of this piece of software when you pressed "yes" for the
conditions of some free software package you once installed. And the
gentleman added that "free" software developers also must make a living so
they depend on this type of advertising.

The implication would be that you really have to read all of the text
displayed on the screen in order to verify that you don't agree to the
installation of malware together with the "free" package.

I would argue that such a contract is invalid (under continental European
law), certainly in a business-to-consumer relationship.

reinier