[pp.int.general] Microsoft Drafts Consumers In Fight Against Software Piracy: Carrot And Stick

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Dec 8 06:54:40 CET 2009

    It's statements like this that undermine Open Source.

Does it matter if we do?  Open source is just a development
methodology.  Developers should use that method it they find it
useful, but why feel any loyalty towards a development method?

What deserves our loyalty is users' freedom; i.e., free software.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
for more explanation of the difference,.

							  It sounds
    bitter, and derogatory. Windows is just as innovative as any linux
    system.

There is no Linux system.  Linux is a kernel, and not suitable by
itself for direct human use.

I am almost positive you're talking about the GNU operating system,
which is usually used together with Linux.  But if you don't mention
GNU, you give all the credit to the developer of that sole component.

Would you please call the system "GNU/Linux", and give its principal
developer equal mention?

See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
and http://www.gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.

    However, straight 'Microsoft's never innovative' just undermines you,
    and every other statement you make in the same email, as fanatical.

I agree with you there: Microsoft is sometimes innovative.  Where
Microsoft is always bad is in the area more important than innovation:
namely, freedom.  If a program doesn't respect our freedom, then we should
avoid it, regardless of how much or how little innovation it has.