[pp.int.general] MicrosoftDraftsConsumersInFightAgainstSoftware Piracy: Carrot And Stick

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Tue Dec 8 05:00:43 CET 2009

>I think that also brings us to the issue of not being able to read the EULA
>until after you buy the computer or program.
>
> MS and EOMs have been keeping this little fact under tight wraps.

I recall that lawyers argued that "shrinkwrap licences" and similar
constructs have a questionable validity. Consent must be explicit. Needless
to say, if the licence is invalid, another problem is to get that accepted
by the vendor. The price of my netbook (sw+hw) was not much more than the
hourly fee of an attorney. (NO! I am not saying that Windows ought to be
more expensive!)

reinier