[pp.int.general] map of intellectual property rights in lund

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Tue Dec 8 23:00:12 CET 2009

Some aspects should not be confused:
1. Some goods are "non-rivalrous", as it is called in economic. That is besically what you are referring to.
2. A fundamental principle of criminal law that it shoud define crimes precisely and in advance (that is actually a human right). Theft statutory provisions typically refer to tangible objects only. Even the punishment of the theft of electricity (though non-non-rivalruous) violates this principle in NL (not in DE, I don't know about the US).

The risk is that infringement of all (even non-rivalrous) goods is treated as theft. The confusion about the apparently generic "intellectual property" concept exacerbates this confusion (= often deliberate deceit). That is why it is such a bad concept. Taking someone elses "intellectual property" is not theft, and perhaps it is not even infrigement because only "intellectual property" is protected that is explicitly defined in statutes ("works", inventions, trademarks).

Educated people know the art of generalisation. generalisation is a mistake here.

reinier