[pp.int.general] Copenhagen, our turn to dive into

Marco Confalonieri marco.confalonieri at email.it
Fri Dec 11 01:37:14 CET 2009

Rackham ha scritto:
> Hello all
>
> As you may have marked, there's somehow a world happening for the
> powers that are in Denmark. ;o)
>
> Sorry if it has already been talked about on the ML but :
> Patents are one of the main issues concerning the transfert of
> technologies to the "2nd and 3rd world" countries in order to fight
> climate change. Even if most of the press focuses on the $$$ transfert
> question, it is in fact in two parts: the 10 billions $/year for the
> developed countries to pay, and the techs that have to be transfered.
Well... my father (an electrical engineer working in the construction of
power plants, so familiar with some of the issues discussed) thinks that
Copenhagen is the way in which the western countries want to block the
economical rise of China and India trying to impose technologies that
they cannot develop on their own.
I'm reporting a mail he sent me.
BEWARE: he has lived for thirty years in construction sites in the
middle of the desert, so he's quite "direct". :-)
(His political opinions are the farthest possible from mine, but I
appreciate his technical expertise)

Dear Marco,
i would like to exchange with you some ideas about the "global warming".
I think that Copenhagen Meetings are only big marketing operations
originated by
European countries, japan and USA in order to impose to the emerging
countries
technologies that they (the emerging) don't have yet developed. In a
very rude way
western countries want to f..k China and India in a field still unknown
to them.
Consequently it is not a victory of the greens or no-global, but again a
victory of the
energy lobbies.
Talking about the scientific aspects that are on the basis of the matter
i have many
doubts.
As you know , time by time i have to carry out  assessments about the
environmental
impacts  of power plants, the extension of those campaigns are only few
km and you
cannot believe how much difficult is, imagine to make assessments
extended to the
entire planet, 100,000 square kilometers, where extensive quantities of
CO2 are
generated  adsorbed diffused in sea and atmosphere, continuously moved
by wind and
streams.
If you release a fixed number of moles in air, the concentration in ppmw
(parts per million
weight) in a range of ambient temperature from -50 °C to +50 °C the
number change
35%, atmospheric pressure from 950 millibars to 1050 millibars
introduces a possible change of
another 10%, humidity, elevation, location near sea or forests other
corrections.
For an area of 10-20 square km the pitch of measurements at the
ground is 1 km.
Keeping this in mind all this, how it is possible that Roman or
Neapolitan professors sit
in their Barocco palaces, having available few (some hundreds) local
readings can reach
the conclusion that in the 18th century the CO2 concentration was 250
ppm, in 1975 was
280ppm and now 320 ppm with a projection of 350 by 2050?
In my opinion they have done the average without telling us that the
areas covered are only few
percent of the earth surface and the standard deviation of the readings
over the year is 50
or 60 % of the mean values therefore absolutely unreliable.
As western  man i could welcome any initiative to win the competition
against India and China
but we have to be realistic and honest  in saying that this is not
completely ethical as shown
by the media.
In my opinion the countries that will have big advantages are: Japan,
France, Germany, USA (a little bit later)
and Spain, Italy not so much but will have also a small piece of cake.
Absolutely out of the game China
and India (thank God).

--
Marco Confalonieri ass.prom.soc. Partito Pirata (PP Italy)
http://www.partito-pirata.it