[pp.int.general] Music industry hit with $60 billion copyright infringement lawsuit

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Mon Dec 14 02:03:28 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 19:43 -0500, Andrew Norton wrote:
> I just did a nice little comment on there, but it's 'awaiting
> moderation' - who knows if we'll see it published.
>
> I'll repeat it here in case it never gets approved.

<snip>

> which any one infringer is liable individually,
> or for which any two or more infringers are liable
> jointly and severally, in a sum of not less
> than $500 or more than $20,000 as the court

So, if Geist's claim of 300,000+ infringements is correct, and a court
awards minimum statutory damages, it comes down to a mere

    CA$ 150,000,000

To reach the bandied about $50,000,000 the recording industry admits
must be due, Geist needs to have tripled the infringements. So, 100,000
infringements at the minimum statutory damage of $500 is:

    CA$ 50,000,000

Nobody has answered the question I keep asking. How much have they put
aside to pay the rightsholders? Or, if they've put aside based on the
non-punitive amount they should be paying out, ... How many
infringements are there really?

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>|http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil
Content of this message in no way represents the opinions or official position