[pp.int.general] Music industry hit with $60 billion copyright infringement lawsuit

Edison Carter the.real.edison.carter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 02:10:12 CET 2009

> Nobody has answered the question I keep asking. How much have they put
> aside to pay the rightsholders? Or, if they've put aside based on the
> non-punitive amount they should be paying out, ... How many
> infringements are there really?

There's an interesting precedent being set here and perhaps it's not one the
recording industry really want to be setting.

In future p2p lawsuits the defendant needs only show that they 'put aside'
the normal retail price of whatever they downloaded and are happy to pay up
now that the copyright holder has been found, following the CRIA's own
example. Sweet. I imagine Jammie Thomas would have loved to have had this
option.

Or am I missing something?