[pp.int.general] Music industry hit with $60 billion copyright infringement lawsuit

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Mon Dec 14 02:21:05 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 14:10 +1300, Edison Carter wrote:

>         Nobody has answered the question I keep asking. How much have
>         they put
>         aside to pay the rightsholders? Or, if they've put aside based
>         on the
>         non-punitive amount they should be paying out, ... How many
>         infringements are there really?
>

> There's an interesting precedent being set here and perhaps it's not
> one the recording industry really want to be setting.
>
> In future p2p lawsuits the defendant needs only show that they 'put
> aside' the normal retail price of whatever they downloaded and are
> happy to pay up now that the copyright holder has been found,
> following the CRIA's own example. Sweet. I imagine Jammie Thomas would
> have loved to have had this option.
>
> Or am I missing something?

We both are, reading the relevant bit of the laws. Me because I'm taking
notes and got distracted with this bit related to the Libraries Act:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-2006-337/20091213/page-0.html?rp2=SEARCH&rp3=SI&rp1=copyright&rp4=exact&rp9=cr&rp10=A&rp13=50

> DEPOSIT — NON-PAPER PUBLICATIONS
> 2. In order to make a publication and its contents that uses a medium other than paper accessible to the Librarian and Archivist, the publisher shall
> (a) before providing a copy of the publication to the Librarian and Archivist,
> (i) decrypt encrypted data contained in the publication, and
> (ii) remove or disable security systems or devices that are designed to restrict or limit access to the publication; and
> (b) when providing a copy of the publication to the Librarian and Archivist,
> (i) provide a copy of software specifically created by the publisher that is necessary to access the publication,
> (ii) provide a copy of technical or other information necessary to access the publication, including a copy of manuals that accompany the publication, and
> (iii) provide any available descriptive data about the publication including its title, creator, language, date of publication, format, subject and copyright information.

Doesn't that make it illegal to have DRM on any DVDs or Blu Ray disks in
a library? I don't know if Canada has the equivalent of a Library of
Congress and it'd be distracting to read the Libraries Act. There may be
a loophole if the library *buys* for their collection.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>|http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil
Content of this message in no way represents the opinions or official position