[pp.int.general] Mandatory Internet filtering becoming full spread in Australia

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Wed Dec 16 17:19:39 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 15:58 +0000, Philip Hunt wrote:
> 2009/12/16 Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>:
> >> Technology used in filtering was mainly DNS-based. A Finnish Internet
> >> activist Matti Nikki [...] published
> >> his findings on a dedicated website http://lapsiporno.info
> >> ("childporn.info"). People audited the list, and found out (IIRC) that
> >> there was <5% actual child pornography.
> >
> > I can't access this in the UK. I get a very quick 404 response.
>
> I'm also in the UK, and I can access it. (My ISP is Demon, which AFAIK
> uses the IWF filer; they certainly did when IWF blocked Wikipedia).

I recall from the IWF/Wikipedia debacle Demon reported blocked URLs as
such instead of a fake 404. Perhaps some have updated the system.

> > Just to mess with their heads I shall report the mirror that worked for
> > me to the IWF.
>
> If I were you I'd point out that the original doesn't contain porn and
> ask them why they blocked it.

I don't think they have an appeals process. When they fucked up and
blocked virtually everyone in the UK from *editing* Wikipedia (filtered
through small number of IPs) it was a noisy court of public opinion got
them to back down. I have IP block exemption (a little-known option on
Wikimedia projects) for this eventuality. I can edit via Tor where it
might be the case nobody else at my ISP could.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
Wikinewsie.org