[pp.int.general] Copenhagen, our turn to dive into

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 17:20:43 CET 2009

Could we not discuss the general nature of carbon dioxide emission and
non-information politics related areas here? I would much rather see
that the Pirate Parties International aim their efforts and scarce
time into planning something we _can_ do, like focus on the COMPLETE
LACK of ip provisions in the treaties. I will forward two documents
that will show how IP and tech transfer have been consistently
neglected by the Commission and the Council, and we will have a
campaign to the contrary.

Also start contacting local environmental movements, asking to be kept
up to date with their IPR/tech transfer debates. There's a couple of
international/european e-mailing lists I could recommend if anyone's
interested.

If RMS refuses to stop talking about carbon dioxide emissions in
general - don't answer him! We have plenty of stuff to do even without
discussing the nature of greenhouse gasses.

2009/12/16 Rackham <denis.germain at partipirate.org>:

> Le 16 déc. 09 à 07:23, Edison Carter a écrit :
>
>> It might be better for the planet if carbon trading was simply outright
>> fraud (with no effort at all to actually fund anything). I recently
>> watched
>> 'The Carbon Connection' and it seems that massive eucalyptus monoculture
>> plantations are causing about as much environmental damage in developing
>> countries as the carbon emissions they're supposed to offset.
>

> Carbon trade is a tool, neither good or bad, just a tool. But even
> economists have marked it's wicked as done in the US or Europe, even if
> Europe CO2 market is the less worse.
>
> in fact, it's not wicked, it's WiCKED. :)
>
> Any monoculture is BAD. (just like patent/licence monoculture ;)
>
> it's not even necessary to study the eucalyptus plantations for this,
> there's a single fact to know : Eucalyptus don't let anything else grow, you
> can't have biodiversity there. Same for Picea/Abies monocultures (planeted
> too closely, with clones), or Palm (here, people don't let anything else
> grow). Some countries in Europe are switching at last to mixed (even
> natural) plantations, it is better for capturing CO2, less hazards (less
> sensible to fire, storms, illnesses, insects…).
>
> Eucalyptuses have other faults : full of oil, they burn very fast (ask
> Australians or Portugueses), plus they deplete the water ressources. it's
> not a wealth creating forest, save if you market paper.
>
> Denis
> NO DADVSI - NO HADOPI - NO LOPPSI

Amelia Andersdotter
Lissabon-MEP