[pp.int.general] Copenhagen, our turn to dive into

Rackham denis.germain at partipirate.org
Wed Dec 16 13:00:31 CET 2009

Le 16 déc. 09 à 07:23, Edison Carter a écrit :

> It might be better for the planet if carbon trading was simply
> outright
> fraud (with no effort at all to actually fund anything). I recently
> watched
> 'The Carbon Connection' and it seems that massive eucalyptus
> monoculture
> plantations are causing about as much environmental damage in
> developing
> countries as the carbon emissions they're supposed to offset.

Carbon trade is a tool, neither good or bad, just a tool. But even
economists have marked it's wicked as done in the US or Europe, even
if Europe CO2 market is the less worse.

in fact, it's not wicked, it's WiCKED. :)

Any monoculture is BAD. (just like patent/licence monoculture ;)

it's not even necessary to study the eucalyptus plantations for this,
there's a single fact to know : Eucalyptus don't let anything else
grow, you can't have biodiversity there. Same for Picea/Abies
monocultures (planeted too closely, with clones), or Palm (here,
people don't let anything else grow). Some countries in Europe are
switching at last to mixed (even natural) plantations, it is better
for capturing CO2, less hazards (less sensible to fire, storms,
illnesses, insects…).

Eucalyptuses have other faults : full of oil, they burn very fast (ask
Australians or Portugueses), plus they deplete the water ressources.
it's not a wealth creating forest, save if you market paper.

Denis
NO DADVSI - NO HADOPI - NO LOPPSI