[pp.int.general] Copenhagen, our turn to dive into

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 13:26:10 CET 2009

2009/12/17 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>:
>    time into planning something we _can_ do, like focus on the COMPLETE
>    LACK of ip provisions in the treaties.
>
> Using the term "IP" is a bad habit of vagueness.
> Are you concerned by a lack of trademark provisions?
> Or is it mainly patent provisions that you want to advocate?

Patents are a problem, but probably not as much as trade secrets.

While the EU is willing to make (un)substantial commitments to
infrastructural investments in third world nations (see for example
http://euobserver.com/9/29171/?rk=1) they are not as willing to let go
of know-how, making those same investments rather useless.

Western held copyrights also make it significantly more difficult for
third world academics accessing proper education.

Even trademarks are a general waste of time and money for most third
world nations :/ The registration and associated administration alone
is enough to kill a very small and weak national economy, obviously
rendering it incapable of smart green investments.

I think it's a general problem in global commerce, disabling the
financial development of third world nations, and its obviously being
made a lot worse by propertifying intangibles.

--
Amelia Andersdotter
Lissabon-MEP