[pp.int.general] Significance of use of Free and proprietarysoftware in a political context

Richard M Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sun Feb 1 07:30:56 CET 2009

    And I think it is actually
    acceptable if it is used as a generic term ONLY, i.e. a shorthand for a list
    of laws.

That position would be valid, if talking about this whole list of laws
as a unit were ever sensible.  But that's exactly what we should teach
people not to do!  The way we encourage other people not to lump these
laws is by example -- by never lumping them together ourselves.

That means that the sort of statements for which such a generalization
could be useful are precisely the statements we should conspicuously
refuse to make.

    BTW the word "protection" is also (perhaps oven more) objectionable.

I agree.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html.