[pp.int.general] PPI platform for EU Election 2009

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Thu Jan 1 02:11:01 CET 2009

> For example, our #1 candidate for Europarl from PPSE, Christan  Engström,
> has talked about promoting more power to parliament, and the  PPSE
> opposition to the Lisbon treaty. This is the type of issues that  need to
> be discussed in PPI for a joint EU election platform.

The Lisbon treaty is a tricky issue. The lack of democratic control in this
treaty is dramatic, so it deserves to be rejected. At the same time, imho PP
should not join neo-nationalist groups. Politics is increasingly
anti-Europe, while I feel that a united Europe is VERY impoortant - in a
historic perspective. With proper democratic control, of course!
reinier