[pp.int.general] PPI platform for EU Election 2009

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 02:26:49 CET 2009

2009/1/1 Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl>:
>> For example, our #1 candidate for Europarl from PPSE, Christan  Engström,
>> has talked about promoting more power to parliament, and the  PPSE
>> opposition to the Lisbon treaty. This is the type of issues that  need to be
>> discussed in PPI for a joint EU election platform.
>>
> The Lisbon treaty is a tricky issue. The lack of democratic control in this
> treaty is dramatic, so it deserves to be rejected. At the same time, imho PP
> should not join neo-nationalist groups. Politics is increasingly
> anti-Europe, while I feel that a united Europe is VERY impoortant - in a
> historic perspective. With proper democratic control, of course!

Politics is increasingly pro-Europe, at least to a certain extent.
Politicians in Europe are for giving themselves more authority to make
decisions without involving the people properly, hence the democratic
deficit in Lisbon. But it's primarily the peoples of Europe that are
highly skeptical towards the enhanced European collaboration.

That is why, from a votes-gathering perspective, it would not be
entirely bad to line up with "neo-nationalist" groups (I use that term
rather loosely, because I'm aware of several anti-EU groups who aren't
nationalists so much as opposed to the anti-social movement part of
the EU establishment).

/amelia