[pp.int.general] PPI platform for EU Election 2009

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Sat Jan 3 12:35:13 CET 2009

I think we should not loose the essence out of sight. Which is imho that
referenda are VERY tricky. This may differ by country, but in NL (and in FR,
BE, and wherever else) we have substantial populist movements. They usually
foster a pretty unilateral view of society, and cater for people with a low
education level who do not trust the government anyway. In an aging
population, they tend to be conservative nationalist, "law and order", and
suffer from xenophobia. Populist leaders create their own "reality" by
excellent communication skills. From Goebbels to Berlusconi and Wilders in
NL.

There is also a populist view of "intellectual property". The typical "law
and order" mentality of present populism calls for tight enforcement of e.g.
copyright. "Children who are allowed to steal a MP3 today will steal a
bycycle tomorrow". While since the 18th century criminal law was general
considered the "ultimum remedium", it is now a popular political theme to
promote tough punishments.

The obvious solution is to provide counter-information. The PP movement is
perfectly suited to do that. One does not need a lot of people to provide
counter-information, only a smart strategy. A very simple exmaple: while the
record companies always claim to foster the interests of ("poor") artists,
this is merely a pretext to maintain a branch of industry which has become
technologically obsolete due to the advent of widespread high-speed
internet.

Well, perhaps a referendum is a good idea if and when people start to
understand that copyright is abused to protect the interests of (the
shareholders of) record companies, and more often is used against than in
favour of artists.

And on the Lisbon treaty? I wonder what a proper question would be, if we
reject a simple YES/NO referendum.