[pp.int.general] PPI platform for EU Election 2009

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Sat Jan 3 13:29:08 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
> I think we should not loose the essence out of sight. Which is imho
> that referenda are VERY tricky.
That is not the essence for PIRATA: the essence for PIRATA is that there
must be counterweight & control mechanisms available to the citizens to
avoid /representatives/ -notice the italic font-style- misrepresenting
eligible voters and deciding the opposite from people's will.
> This may differ by country, but in NL (and in FR, BE, and wherever
> else) we have substantial populist movements.
Again, your attempts to bind referendum & populism are futile:
referendum can be used by anyone, both populist and non populist
people/parties.
> There is also a populist view of "intellectual property". The typical
> "law and order" mentality of present populism calls for tight
> enforcement of e.g. copyright. "Children who are allowed to steal a
> MP3 today will steal a bycycle tomorrow". While since the 18th century
> criminal law was general considered the "ultimum remedium", it is now
> a popular political theme to promote tough punishments.
> Well, perhaps a referendum is a good idea if and when people start to
> understand that copyright is abused to protect the interests of (the
> shareholders of) record companies, and more often is used against than
> in favour of artists.
Allow a referendum on author's rights in Spain, and -according to your
words- you will be surprised on the result, in spite of the populism of
pro-copyright lobbies. You are not aware of how famous SGAE is, and how
each day that passes more and more Spaniards are aware of -and reject-
the Spanish RMOs daily tasks and maneuvers.
> The obvious solution is to provide counter-information. The PP
> movement is perfectly suited to do that. One does not need a lot of
> people to provide counter-information, only a smart strategy. A very
> simple exmaple: while the record companies always claim to foster the
> interests of ("poor") artists, this is merely a pretext to maintain a
> branch of industry which has become technologically obsolete due to
> the advent of widespread high-speed internet.
I agree with that, with the need for providing counter-information,
though it's just one of our duties.
> And on the Lisbon treaty? I wonder what a proper question would be, if
> we reject a simple YES/NO referendum.
While I don't like /YES/NO/ referendum -that's not the only way-, even
if you want that way, prior to launch the /YES/NO/ question you have to
create trustable communication channels to interconnect citizens from
all EU countries through reliable proxies -political parties ... well, I
talked about *reliable* proxies ... thus, civic groups and other in the
likes-, to be aware of what people expects from an EU constitution in
order to develop it.

If a bunch of wannabe /sorcerers/ -namely, /Amato Group/, and formerly
European Convention (also /father/ of the Charter of Fundamental Rights
of the EU)- meet in conclave to deliber what more than 400 million EU
citizens /do want/, can anyone be surprised if the result has nothing or
little to do with reality?

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman