[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Richard M Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sun Jan 4 03:16:33 CET 2009

    I live on the eighth floor of an appartment building. When I go out, I
    usually take the elevator, or the stairs when I am in a sportive mood, or
    both elevators are out of order. But I never jump over the balcony. Am I a
    coward? No, I know realistically that it is not sensible to do so.

You keep exaggerating.  "Difficult" does not equal "suicidal".

    "Idealistic" by definition means that they are unlikely to occur in
    the foreseable future. So there is actually little on the positive side of
    the balance. On the other hand, there is a substantial, short term risk of
    being disqualified as "extremist" and "unrealistic" if idealistic options
    are emphasized too much.

This kind of calculation is a self-fulfilling prophesy in disguise.
The prophesy says "you cannot change much, so give up."  Parties which
accept this kind of calculation can only aim for small changes from
the status quo.

In the long term, accepting such a self-fulfilling prophesy ensures
the failure of any major political change.  In effect, this practice
of aiming only for what is feasible in the short term is the chief
bulwark of an unjust system.