[pp.int.general] copyright vs. "droit dáuteur"

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Tue Jan 6 19:25:44 CET 2009

> 6 jan 2009 kl. 09.32 skrev Reinier Bakels:
>
> > Not everybody should be allowed to alter a carefully crafted piece  of
> > art.
>

> I assume we're talking about copies here and not originals. And in  that
> case, why not?
>
> Modification of existing art is a central piece of much contemporary
> culture. I'm not a historian, but I assume that some kind of "remix
> culture" must have existed in the past. If nothing else in the domain  of
> parody.
>
> Why should one author be permitted to regulate another author's  artistic
> output?

I am aware that this is a subtle thing. Citations and sampling should be
allowed, even beyond the present citation right. But I want to be aable to
prohibit someone to publish a VERY BAD translation of the novel or poems I
wrote (I actually don't - don't worry).

Anyway, in a PP context this is perhaps less sensitive because it is about
the real (not the "economic") author, and it is not about financial
interests. Uh, that is, if the complaint is not withdrawn for money - in the
example: if I don't allow the very bad translation to be published after I
have received some money (= af ter I have been "bribed").
reinier