[pp.int.general] copyright vs. "droit d'auteur"

Anton Tamminen anton.tamminen at piraattipuolue.fi
Wed Jan 7 12:21:54 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:

>> Or would you prohibit somebody making a bad translation of your work
>> and distributing it noncommercially?
>>
> Yes, of course. Typically a translation is published under the name of
> the original author, and the translator is only mentioned in small
> print an/or at the bottom. Which is nice and modest, but likely to
> give the impression that the original author is reponsible for the
> wordings - and for a potentially bad translation. He is hurt then in
> his *moral* interests.
This inherently criminalizes all products of non-commercial third party
translation done for any at all purpose. For eg. a lot of japanese pop
culture (manga,anime) would not have reached the west have it not been
for the diligent scanlators and fansubbers. Are we to punish peple who
translate important local news from foreign countries with oppressive
governments? The whole idea of trying to control non-commercial
translations is silly, dangerous and from another world. If you want to
cover the impersonation aspect, I think we should classify it under
identity theft or unjust use of another's name on a work.

Regards

--
Anton Tamminen
International Secretary, Member of the Board