[pp.int.general] copyright vs. "droit d'auteur"

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Jan 7 13:40:45 CET 2009

>>> Or would you prohibit somebody making a bad translation of your work
>>> and distributing it noncommercially?
>>>
>> Yes, of course. Typically a translation is published under the name of
>> the original author, and the translator is only mentioned in small

> This inherently criminalizes all products of non-commercial third party
> translation done for any at all purpose. For eg. a lot of japanese pop
> culture (manga,anime) would not have reached the west have it not been for
> the diligent scanlators and fansubbers. Are we to punish peple who
> translate important local news from foreign countries with oppressive
> governments? The whole idea of trying to control non-commercial
> translations is silly, dangerous and from another world. If you want to
> cover the impersonation aspect, I think we should classify it under
> identity theft or unjust use of another's name on a work.

I am fully aware that thisis controversial, and subtle. Firstly,
copy/authorsright never covers the substance, only the form (the
famous"idea/expression" dichotomy - though this terminology is slightly
controversial). Secondly, citations are allowed (and should also be allowed
for musical samples). All news should be available to everybody, paraphrased
or cited. But if your name is still on a work that is attributed to you, and
hurts your reputation, there is a reason to consider that illegal (whether
it should be considered a crime is another question - criminal law should
only be the "ultimum remedium").

And I am definitely opposed against commercial exploiitation of derivative
works of the works I made available for free. As you know, it is an option
in the CC licence suite.

PP should oppose people  with $€ signs in teir eyes, not artists who want to
protect their cultural values.

reinier