[pp.int.general] copyright vs. "droit d'auteur"

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Wed Jan 7 15:59:16 CET 2009

Anton Tamminen wrote:
> Reinier Bakels wrote:
>> PP should oppose people  with $€ signs in teir eyes, not artists who
>> want to protect their cultural values.
> Business doesn't want to publish bad translations and it usually
> doesn't want to do that under the author's name, because that would be
> bad PR.
I think you both think of commercial issues. What about the very meaning
of the intellectual works, e.g., books and music lyrics?

If you write these lyrics:
/
I wanna *make love to you* all night long/

and I translate it into Spanish this way

/Quiero *besarte* hasta que amanezca/ (i.e., I wanna *kiss you* till dawn)

/till dawn/ is not exactly the same as /all night long/, though may be
accepted -specially if required to keep the rhyme in Spanish-; however,
what about /kissing/making love/? Clearly not the same, not meaning the
same, and the depth of what lyrics say might have been downplayed due to
many reasons -e.g., due to censorship-. There is a famous Francoist
censorship case regarding Casablanca:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034583/quotes
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=yayv6_8mwl4

Renault says "/in 1935, you ran guns to Ethiopia. In 1936, you fought in
Spain, on the Loyalist side/"; however, the Francoist regime translated
it as "/in 1935, you ran guns to Ethiopia. In *1938*, you fought *as
much as you could against Austrian Anschluss*/", obviously distorting
it. Well, it perverts the essence of the original work -it doesn't mean
the same as it did anymore-, and I also think that such perversion has
nothing to do with commercial issues.
> But then came the internet, and changed all of this - suddenly there
> is a huge demand for sufficiently good unofficial translations for
> works that are not and probably never will be translated with approval
> of the author and at the same time there are an enormous number of
> people willing to do all this work for free. It is in the nature of
> culture to spread.
Still the author of an intellectual work is able to complain against a
bad translation which distort the meaning of his work and say "/I didn't
mean that/". Casablanca & Francoism's was only an example, there are
tons of them.
> I fail to see an artist's rational interest in wanting to weed out
> unofficial translations that are mostly found only by those looking
> for them, because nobody is actively promoting the material.
I think wanting one's work not to be distorted nor censored is a pretty
rational interest.
> I don't think anyone consciously seeking out unofficial translations
> will think of them as representative of the original author's talent
> or person.
People in Spain thought for years that Rick Blaine actually /fought/
Nazis in Austria in 1938, when actually he was /fighting/ Nationals in
Spain in 1936; maybe it was due to Spanish being naive -they might have
realized that Rick was a fictional character :)-, maybe it was due to
being under a dictatorship, maybe due to both and/or other reasons. The
thing is that it was, it happened, censorship was applied to
Casablanca's Spanish soundtrack. Regards,

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman