[pp.int.general] copyright vs. "droit d'auteur"

Per von Zweigbergk per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se
Wed Jan 7 18:51:43 CET 2009

7 jan 2009 kl. 15.59 skrev Carlos Ayala Vargas:

> Anton Tamminen wrote:
>> Reinier Bakels wrote:
>>> PP should oppose people  with $€ signs in teir eyes, not artists
>>> who want to protect their cultural values.
>> Business doesn't want to publish bad translations and it usually
>> doesn't want to do that under the author's name, because that would
>> be bad PR.
> I think you both think of commercial issues. What about the very
> meaning of the intellectual works, e.g., books and music lyrics?

Yes, the meaning of commercial works can be distorted. And to great
effect.

You mention mistranslation as a political tool. While this is
possible, you're simply not going to be able to prevent stuff like
this through copyright law. If a state wants to violate a law, it
will. And with a functioning media and bloggers on the Internet, it
would be impossible to get away with something like this in a free
society.

In the end, it should not be the role of copyright law to prevent
creation of these kinds of works, the problem is unauthorized
attribution, not creating an unauthorized derivative work.

--
Per von Zweigbergk

VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i
Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is
intercepted by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.