[pp.int.general] copyright vs. "droit d'auteur"

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Thu Jan 8 00:19:19 CET 2009

> Reinier Bakels wrote:
>> The alternative is obvious: better use convincing arguments not based on
>> human rights than not convincing arguments based on human rights (if the
>> ideal combination - convincing arguments based on human rights - is not
>> available).
> However, it is available; thus, while I thank you for the alternative,
My experience is different. (No, not just of my own messages!) One is only
"convincing" if both the argument is OK *and* the receiver of the message is
prepared to accept it. The argument is pretty common that the author is
entitled an (exclusive) right because he is the author.
I repeat: I think there is a very high risk that the human rights argument
works COUNTER-productively.

You also referred to Zapatero and levies. We should not forget that the levy
issue requires some knowledge for a proper judgement. It is not immediately
obvious to the outsider that levies are wrong. And the propaganda of the
IFPI and its allies is strong. But the counter-argument is easy. No outsider
ever believes that one should pay also for copying his OWN (legally
obtained) CDs onto a MP3 player or PC disk. Still it is considered a
copyright-protected "multiplication" act. No human rights are needed to
explain this! And the learning curve can be short.

reinier