[pp.int.general] Of State and Main (I can't come up with abetter subject)

Per von Zweigbergk per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se
Thu Jan 8 10:28:40 CET 2009

8 jan 2009 kl. 09.49 skrev Reinier Bakels:

>> There's nothing wrong with discussions on pirate ideology, but I
>> frankly don't see how discussions about the minor points about the
>> European Charter of Human Rights is going to advance the cause of
>> Pirate Parties internationally.
> Indeed. As you may have noted, I am trying to get away from the
> "human rights" argument all the time. Still, it is very prominent in
> the (present version of the) Manifesto - so it needs to be adapted
> imho. If you also believe that human rights considerations are not
> very helpful (or even potentially detrimental) in PP politics, don't
> blame us for the debate, but get involved and support me in the
> perception that we should prefer other, less academic arguments - if
> only because there is actually an abundance of very convincing
> arguments of that type.

Please don't twist my words. Before writing, maybe you should learn to
read what the other person is writing. Or maybe you both are writing
so much that it's impossible to have any time left to read what the
other person is writing. This is the problem I'm observing.

I did not say I was against the usage of human rights arguments in a
pirate manifesto, I said that I was against the endlessly verbose and
legalistic discussion on this mailing list.

For the record, I have nothing against the use of a human rights
argument when it comes to the Pirate Party. I agree with you that the
usage of human rights arguments when it comes to justifying copyright
reform is problematic. However, it's certainly valuable to use human
right arguments against stuff like mass surveillance (Data Retention
Directive et cetera), which at least I believe should be a core issue
in a PPI manifesto.

I believe, as is the position of the Swedish Pirate Party, that
imaginary property reform is secondary to requirements for
communications secrecy, general privacy, and generally not living in a
police state. And it is much more useful to discuss human rights
issues out of that perspective than to blather on endlessly about
relatively trivial issues such as the moral rights of authors.
--
Per von Zweigbergk

VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i
Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is
intercepted by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.