[pp.int.general] copyright vs. "droit d'auteur"

Anton Tamminen anton.tamminen at piraattipuolue.fi
Thu Jan 8 11:05:47 CET 2009

Per von Zweigbergk wrote:

> Maybe copyright reform makes the GPL a bit weaker, but I think the
> tradeoff is worth it. And while protection of the authors moral
> "rights" might be nice to have, if you're an author, it's simply
> incompatible with the idea of broader imaginary property reform for
> the 21st century.
Being a free software activist and developer myself, I'd like to comment
that the GPL and other free licenses becoming weaker isn't a problem if
the protection of proprietary software is equally weakened. As I see it,
the point of the GPL is to create an oasis of freedom within the desert
of hindrance - to allow (and *preserve*) freedom to derive. The GPL is
that barrier between the desert and the oasis, and only needed in a
world where freedom does not ring.

Regards,

--
Anton Tamminen
International Secretary, Member of the Board