[pp.int.general] "Natural" law

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Thu Jan 8 15:23:55 CET 2009

8 jan 2009 kl. 13.55 skrev Reinier Bakels:
>> Yes, some politicians say this.  And they will continue to repeat
>> such things until enough people reject the idea.
>>
>> Those who support sharing must refute their views of "human rights",
>> not duck the issue.
> OK. Please help me to explain this is nonsense. I would prefer
> non-legal arguments to address the issue ("look at it from a different
> angle") rather than trying to counter the argument head-on.
But if the /argument/ is a plain lie -often they are-, why would we
avoid to prove that it's a lie? E.g., Spanish IP law states that levies
are motivated by private copying, and that only human beings, not
entities, are entitled to make private copies; when a court remarked
this fact -while it too often is found as surprising, actually judges
should make judgments following rule of law-, and RMOs were threatened
with levies paid by entities being abolished, they threatened back with
raising levies to be paid by human beings as "/the difference has to be
compensated/"; what /difference/? *It's illegal to collect levies to
entities, and enough*; and if it's illegal, why should we be shy to say
that it's illegal?

Furthermore, in Criminal Law (at least in Spain, I guess that also in
your countries), when a politician -even a Minister- dictates a rule
while knowing it's unfair, it's considered as a crime (prevarication);
if even Spanish government dares to approve such a rule -raising levies
due to abolition of levies paid by entities-, PIRATA will bring the
responsible people to justice. Because If I have to find something
having no sense, it would be avoiding to remark the illegality of
something suffered by some, many or all of us.
> Even in those legislations where the private copy is allowed,
> publishing for private copying (uploading) is not allowed
Maybe the legislator thought of modifying the law in such terms, however:

- prior to 2006, it was allowed
- after 2006 /IP/ law modification, it's not clear whether it is allowed
or not -due to certain ambiguous wording in specific articles-, and no
court of justice has judged on that issue in the /civil arena/ -they
have already judged in the /criminal arena/, obviously finding it not a
crime without commercial profit-

Or maybe are you aware of Spanish civil judgments regarding this
concrete issue? Bravo, de la Cueva, Sanchez Almeida, Campanillas and
many others would be quite interested if you are aware of ... though I
think you aren't because -as far as I know- there aren't.
> and using illegal material may be considered fencing
As long as it is illegal. If it's not illegal, there is no fencing.
> One might argue that the private copying exception actually was
> created because the police could not reasonably enforce copyright in
> private homes
Actually that was the reason in Spain; a wicked reason, indeed, but the
one given specially by Popular Party MPs -who even encouraged DRM-like
measures instead of allowing private copying-. Here we are trapped
between two stances in the Congress:

- PSOE & Co: allow pretty restricted private copying and, also, allow
hundreds of millions of levies to be earned -of course- by the 1.000
- PP & Co: allow only backup copying -not the same as private copying,
except for software where private copying (in Spain) is not allowed- ...
and however not to fully abolish levies, but to transform them
> but the counter argument is that with the development of p2p
> conceivably only one record is sold for the benefit of the artist, and
> everybody else benefits for free.
What a *huge* lie, who stated that? RIAA? MPAA? SGAE? SACEM? Just think
of Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead and it will be easy to counter such a
huge -as huge as feeble- lie. They may counter back with the fact that
those are famous artists but ... hey, then the supposed /absolute truth/
wasn't that true ... and we can continue with Jamendo and many other
arguments.
> There is of course an answer, but it is not a legal answer - about the
> interpretation of a human right.
Actually it depends on whether RMOs are willing to apply the Choruss
approach universally and through ISPs

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081209/0144083060.shtml

Then our privacy would be compromised and, of course, human rights would
again be on stake.
> Correct me if I am wrong.
Think you better prove you're right -at least for the Spanish scenario,
I can't talk about the legal framework of other countries-.

Per von Zweigbergk wrote:
> In this particular issue, it's not a human rights issue - the issue
> whether of not imaginary property is property or not.
Of course, whether or not intellectual works are property or not is not
a human rights issue.

However, there are several human rights issues affected by controversies
around that central issue, namely privacy (surveillance), right of
association (authors being forced, at least in Spain, to join RMOs,
otherwise losing some of their rights), freedom of speech (RMOs
harassing oppositors and governments being willing to give them
censorship powers for the Internet), freedom of information
(non-commercial free filesharing being currently disallowed), etc.
> Some people imagine that copyright is property (that's why I call it
> imaginary property). Of course you're not going to counter this
> argument by using human rights arguments directly.
>
> By refuting that imaginary property isn't property, the flawed human
> rights argument falls by itself.
Agree. However, I think it would only serve to solve part of the
problem; e.g., the right of association (authors being forced, at least
in Spain, to join RMOs, otherwise losing some of their rights ... and
actually losing anyway all their rights once joined) remains as author
rights -even a reviewed (by us) version, with commercial rights reduced
in term & scope- remains; also, some of the human rights issues
abovementioned would also remain in spite of the /intellectual
pro...whatever/ fallacy being demolished.

However, as I said, I agree on demolishing that fallacy being quite
helpful :) Regards,

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman