[pp.int.general] Lisbon treaty again

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Mon Jan 12 21:26:02 CET 2009

Helmut Pozimski wrote:
> Someone just posted the following link on one of our mailing lists:
> http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/ausland/europa/Iren-befuerworten-jetzt-EUReformvertrag/story/12507086
>
> It basically says that there will be a new plebiscite about the Lisbon treaty in Ireland this year and according to a survey of «Sunday Independent» and
> the institute Quantum Research 55% of the Irish population would vote with "yes" now.
>
> We don't know yet when this plebiscite will take place or if the result of the survey is representative but it seems like the Lisbon treaty could be
> approved although it has previously been rejected.
>
> I now wonder if you feel we should do anything about it like launching a campaign to urge Irish voters to vote against it or explain the contents of
> the treaty to the European public.
>
> By the way. The elections are not far away and it is really time to get moving. For example, we still have the domains pirateparty.eu and
> pirate-party.eu which we could use to build a website for our campaign and to build a presence for the European pirate parties to deal with European
> politics.
Bad news. When the /Constitution/ was on stake, in January 2005, the
Spanish Constitutional Court made a ignominious decision by ruling that
there wasn't need to reform the Constitution, in spite of the fact that
I-6 shifted the allegiance of Spanish citizens from Spanish Constitution
to that Treaty, including ECHR; as one of the judges who voted against
such ruling stated, when issues regarding human rights or any other
issues arise, what should Spanish citizens do? To disobey SC? Or to
disobey ECons? That issue hasn't changed quite much with Treaty of Lisboa.

While the judge also pointed out that maybe there was no other chance
but modifying SC in order to make it fit into ECons, the thing is that
considered it as a requirement, but the Constitutional Court didn't.
Thus, all PIRATA's relax due to the /PROMUSICAE vs Telefonica SAU/ and
such judgments, and the additional protection to civil rights and
liberties given by SC -e.g., requiring warrants to make seizures of
publications, to make home searches, etc- would may disappear. It's
quite worrying ...

.... while we in PIRATA congratulated ourselves because of the Irish /NO/
-mainly because, in spite of the fact of Treaty of Lisboa not being the
same thing as the previous /Constitution/, we the Spaniards haven't been
given the chance of a Referendum as 5 years ago-, now I think we
celebrated it too quickly, as those polls show that things may change
for bad. What do you think about this issue? Regards,

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman