[pp.int.general] copyright vs. "droit d'auteur"

Richard M Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Jan 13 11:50:34 CET 2009

    Now, Microsoft has two choices. Either they have their lawyers work
    out a deal to make the entire code base of their software Free, or
    they simply don't sell to that country and prohibit all their
    distributors to sell to that country.

Given that we are talking about proprietary software, to make it
totally unvailable in one country would not be a bad thing.

However, this policy would not achieve that result.  People could
still get copies in other countries, and bring them back home.
However, to the extent they do this, the law requiring source
availability would be effectively negated.

Also, there could be a real problem with regard to firmware
that doesn't raise an ethical issue (because users don't see it).

So you have convinced me that Valentin's proposal is better.