[pp.int.general] direction for copyright?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Tue Jan 13 13:19:26 CET 2009

Currently I am at a conference in the US, organised by the "Trans Atlantic
Consumer Dialog". Yesterday there was a panel on copyright. It seems that
leading scholars converge to the idea that the interests of copyright owners
are best met by collective agreements e.g. between ISPs and collective
rights organisations.

While this avoids problems like massive monitoring, deterrent criminal
sanctions, levies and DRM, I am not excited:
- Such schemes still are oriented towards traditional rights owners, and
ignore the advent of user-provided "2.0" content
- In particular, again the (outdated) record companies primaily benefit.
Well, some argue that the true author may benefit, but I don't quite
understand how.
- The redistribution problem is not solved. It is generally acknowledged
(even condified in Germany) that redistribution should - at least to some
extent - support cultural diversity, but the mainstream obviously covers
mass-culture. If cultural diversity is an issue, the Collective Rights
organisations are supposed to make cultural policy. They are not suited for
that. Fundamentally, under such a regulation the collected money becomes a
tax - "no taxation without representation".

reinier