[pp.int.general] freedom of speech

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Tue Jan 13 13:49:39 CET 2009

Eventually, Ayaan Hirsi Ali kept her Dutch citizenship, because the Dutch
parliament wanted so.

She probably left the parliament (and The Netherlands) because the events
were prtty negative. Minister Verdonk - from the same political party - was
perceived to exploit the case to eliminate a competitor. Another explanation
is that Ayaan Hirsi Ali was ready for a next step in her career. A beautiful
black woman, bestseller author, could make more money from the US.
Incidentally I don't share her fanatic anti-muslim position. She cultivates
the idea that islam is inherently bad and does not allow more modern,
moderate variations. Which is a definition matter, to some extent.

The identity fraud is questionable. The formalistic reasoning of the Dutch
supreme court (developed in a prior case) is that if you are A and claim to
be B when applying for Dutch citizenschip, B instead of A becomes a Dutch
citizen. There has been a case in Germany where B was a real person, and
still the Constitutional Court eventiually granted the citizenship to A. In
the case of Ayaan, B was not a real person, but herself with some of the
data altered. Which imho makes it less a crime.

But the actual reason not to question her citizenship is actually that her
history was more or less widely known, for many years. Then it is a matter
of good governance not  to contest the naturalisation decision again after
all these years, for politically opportunistic reasons. Former Minister
Verdonk, currently the leader of a questionable, far right populist
movement, always said "rules are rules", and she favoured a tuogh
application of rules. Well, every first year law student knows that all
rules require interpretation. But Verdonk was not a lawyer, and apparently
did not listen to advisors.

Incidentally, such "law and order" politicians often don't obey the law
themselves. In a TV talkshow, Verdonk was asked a question about dath
penalty in Iraq, and then she replied that Dutch human rights don't apply to
Iraq. She did not understand that universal human rights are universal ...

The good news is that her political movement is nearly dead. Verdonk
quarreled with her financial advisor, and recently she fired her campaign
leader, because he said duing a university guest lecture that the movement
really was only hot air. Which was the truth, but Verdonk could not stand
the truth.

Let PP grab the floating voters she left.