[pp.int.general] direction for copyright?

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Wed Jan 14 04:06:13 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
>> While this avoids problems like massive monitoring
>> Disagree on that: think about Choruss, and its self-declared purpose
>> to extend its surveillance manners from the Colleges to the ISPs.
> Sorry, the purpose of a "blanket licence" is to allow "everything".
Have you read about Choruss? They aim to monitor the net traffic.

And about the /blanket license/, not that blanket, read those articles
about the issue.
>> It's not clear, you can check some pages that, as PIRATA, has many
>> doubts concerning that issue.
> Same. Then there is no infringement anymore whatever they do.
That's not clear, unless you have a copy of the /blanket license/ to
solve all possible doubts.
>> Disagree: again, Choruss aims for a yearly fee. You may say it's not
>> a levy ... however, it works the same as media & devices levies: it's
>> collected no matter whether you use your internet connection for
>> filesharing protected works or not.
> What is really a levy? It is a kind of tax on a product. If you buy a
> blank CD, there may be a levy for copyright reasons (incidentally, I
> heard that sometimes the levy on blank DVDs is lower, so that no more
> blank CDs are sold!) Lump sum agreements (such as in this case) arer
> not tied to the sales of a product - so imgo they are no levies, by
> definition. I both cases, the tariff base is questionable, and I
> wonder which is more (dis)honest.
Disagree: if you're a college student, you have to pay that fee for your
internet connection -as long as you hire it, same as happens with CDs &
DVDs (you only pay if you acquire the product)-, whether you want it or
not, whether you use it for filesharing protected works or not. It's a levy.

And there is a clear & present danger on making all ISPs -if they all
reach agreements with Choruss- forcing their clients to pay the levy if
Choruss consolidates as a longlasting project.
>> Agree.
>> Agree.
>> One of many levies & RMOs' contradictions, of course.
> Eventually we agree on some issues!
It's not the first time -maybe you should read more carefully my mails,
you would may surprise yourself-. Of course, there are also several
disagreements; it usually happens.

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman