[pp.int.general] direction for copyright?

Andrew Norton andrew.norton at pirate-party.us
Wed Jan 14 04:06:26 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:

> What is really a levy? It is a kind of tax on a product. If you buy a
> blank CD, there may be a levy for copyright reasons (incidentally, I
> heard that sometimes the levy on blank DVDs is lower, so that no more
> blank CDs are sold!) Lump sum agreements (such as in this case) arer not
> tied to the sales of a product - so imgo they are no levies, by
> definition. I both cases, the tariff base is questionable, and I wonder
> which is more (dis)honest.

Canada for one. They just upped the levy's on blank CD's to 29c/disc
(from 21c) - thats ALL CD-Rs and CD-RW's. There is no levy on blank
DVDs. Part of the reason is to bring the amount the levy brings in back
up to the level it was at in 2007 (they estimate it'll bring in $30M CAD
in 2009)

http://torrentfreak.com/canada-increases-music-industry-subsidy-on-blank-cds-081213/

We've also done a (22 page) reply on levys, and I know you worked on one
from another org.