[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: status of internal ballots

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Thu Jan 15 14:08:45 CET 2009

> So you weren't sincere when you talked about the text not being
> /press-candy/, etc ... the problem for you wasn't in /how/ the text is
> written, all that stuff were pretexts; your actual concern is in its
> contents and in its very spirit ...

Please do not use words like "sincere". If only because I have written more
than once that both the format and the contents could be improved.

Of course it would be better if we could all agree on a single text. But if
we can not agree on certain issues, the next best is to agree only on core
items, copyright and patent reform in particular.

I will not reiterate here the arguments why the "human rights" argument is
dangerous. I'll add another argument: if you feel that your human rights are
violated, go the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg. In Europe,
human rights can be enforced (even if you do not have a constitutional
court, such as in my country). The ECHR has capacity problems, but it is
effective. Actually it suffers from its own success.The ECHR has even blamed
the UN for not observing human rights! (according to UN regulations, people
associated with terrorist movements are put on a black list without the
right of a (fair) trial, which violates ECHR art. 6).

reinier