[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: status of internal ballots

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Fri Jan 16 12:20:36 CET 2009

>    > Fourth, should law play a role for a law maker? It my sounds
>    > contradictory, but - to make a long story short - yes, in order to
>    > *prevent statements that will disqualify the PP *immediately* as
>    > unrealistic*.
>
> By letting one's opponents veto one's goals,
> one decides, in effect, to advocate only the smallest of changes.
> This way one attracts only people who have no larger vision.
> Thus, once started on that path, a party is stuck on it.

I don't  talk about opponents, I talk about lawyers - with very factual
objections.

But let me be explicit. There is a persistent, tough FUD campaign by
copyright owners to enforce copyright (I just mentioned a recent newspaper
article in another post). In view of the massive scale of present
filesharing, very harsh measures will be needed to make copyright
enforcement effective: mass surveillance, "three strikes", overloaded
courts, perhaps simply the shutdown of internet as we know it today.
Censorship is already getting accepted - with the help of the "usual
suspects" such as terrorism threat and child pornography and -labour.

More moderate copyright experts promote levies and taxes. But I don't have
to explain to this audience that such measures also suffer from major
shortcomings. If only because the purpose is apparently to sustain an
industry that is technologically obsolete: the distribution of sounds and
images via plastic disks, black or silver coloured.

There is a dire need for immediate action - proposals such as shortening the
copyright term to five years will hinder rather than support the above
priorities.

We should not stumble over our own feet, while looking at the horizon and
beyond.

reinier