[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: status of internal ballots

Richard M Stallman rms at gnu.org
Fri Jan 16 22:55:14 CET 2009

    In straight terms, under 1. you can call aviolator an asshole, but under 3.
    you can put him in prison. The latter action is not really "philosophical" -
    do you mind? (Uh, is "assohole" philosophical?)

My previous message was not a criticism of efforts for human rights
enforcement.  I am in favor of imprisoning officials such as Bush that
gravely violate human rights.  Perhaps the officials in Sweden who
connived at CIA kidnapings should be imprisoned too.  But I expressed
no opinion about this before.

My point was that when others talk about human rights as an ethical
issue, and you respond by telling them to shut up and go to the court
in Strasbourg, you have changed the subject.  You've made that
particular change of subject before.