[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: status of internal ballots

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Sat Jan 17 11:32:56 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
>>> By letting one's opponents veto one's goals, one decides, in effect,
>>> to advocate only the smallest of changes. This way one attracts only
>>> people who have no larger vision. Thus, once started on that path, a
>>> party is stuck on it.
>> I fully agree with that
> You do not react to what I said.
Totally agree: I react to RMS' words -when I said "/I fully agree/", I
meant I fully agree those concrete words *from him*-. Thus, I'm reacting
possitively to what he said -as he already had reacted to what you
said-. Unless you mean that I do not react /possitively/ to what you
said ... am I obliged to? I'm sure I'm not.
> Of course, *political* opponents will readily say that our proposals
> are "unrealistic". But I referred to *lawyers*.
You refer to *some* lawyers, as e.g. there are at least several famous
Spanish lawyers (Bravo, de la Cueva, Sanchez Almeida, etc) who disagree
in a higher or lower degree with your viewpoints. And while I'm always
keen to know what lawyers who I disagree with think -same as what other
political parties think, and what civic groups think, and what everyone
publicly express about PPI topics ... information means power, it's
useful to be aware of each one's viewpoints-, I'm actually more
interested on what those lawyers I talk about think, rather than what is
thought by lawyers who try to prevent us to pursue some of our goals.

I don't know who, in this list -I think it was a Piratpartiet member, or
maybe was RMS, I'm not sure-, said that lawyers are not meant to tell
politicians what to do -that's rather a matter of the Judicial Branch
(think of separation of powers)-, but to suggest politicians how to do
it; and as advisors, not as commanders. Within that context, don't get
annoyed if I prefer to rather listen to other lawyers. You're of course
free to express your viewpoints -yours, not /lawyers/' (as you don't
talk on behalf of all prestigious lawyers)-, however I guess you
shouldn't expect everyone to agree with all your viewpoints -no matter
whether they are /imho/ or /im*ns*ho/ (/not so humble/, I think you said)-.

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman