[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: status of internal ballots

Richard M Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sun Jan 18 04:43:54 CET 2009

     Let me be explicit: any proposal requiring a change of the Berne
    convention imho is "unrealistic", or "idealistic", something perhaps to be
    mentioned as a long-term goal, but not as part of the present political
    action plan. And there are plenty of opportunities for short-term
    improvements. Wouldn't it be a pity if we miss them because we are too
    idealistic?

You have it backwards.  Advocating larger changes to get the world you
really want HELPS to achieve smaller changes in the short term.
It also helps win public support, which translates into the ability
to make changes, short term or long term.

Wouldn't it be a pity to get nowhere at all
by giving up in advance on the main goals?