[pp.int.general] philosophy vs. action

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Sat Jan 17 14:05:02 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
> The underlying philosophical argument is that it is (perhaps) a
> *right* of the public.
/Perhaps/? What do you think Reinier? Has it to be a right for you, or
it hasn't?
> Sigh! The political purpose is that (among other things) private
> noncommercial copying should be allowed (without compensation by
> levies - which effectively implies it is still a reserved act under
> copyright ...)
> The *action* perspective is that the same result can perhaps be
> achieved much faster by arguing that this right actually complies with
> the "three step test" , which - our course (being a statutory
> regulation itself)- relates to present statutory copyright law, that
> refers to "limitations & exceptions".
Probably what you suggest may be achieved faster; however, *faster !=
better* (at least, not necessarily). There is a proverb against your
proposal -I don't know the English equivalent-: "/bread for today,
hunger for tomorrow/"; it's applied to all proposals who only aim for
the short term, because they're supposed to bring short-living
prosperity in exchange of durable misery.

While I agree on taking all that the current legal framework offers
-observing rule of law doesn't allow to take more than offered without
previously changing the legal framework-, if you *only* aim to take
that, as RMS states, there is a pretty high risk of people being
appeased with that, not realizing that taking that without aiming to
change current state of things, I think that implies accepting current
state of things.

And we (again: when I say /we/, I mean PIRATA; when I talk about PPI I
say /we all/) don't. You insist on us giving up long-term goals, I again
answer that we are not going to.

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman