[pp.int.general] philosophy vs. action

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Sat Jan 17 12:55:13 CET 2009

> > It is the same!
> Not the same, first of all in a conceptual context. You talk about
> /limitations/ & /exceptions/ -fair use is such-, I talk about *rights*.

Sigh! The political purpose is that (among other things) private
noncommercial copying should be allowed (without compensation by levies -
which effectively implies it is still a reserved act under copyright ...)

The underlying philosophical argument is that it is (perhaps) a *right* of
the public.

The *action* perspective is that the same result can perhaps be achieved
much faster by arguing that this right actually complies with the "three
step test" , which - our course (being a statutory regulation itself)-
relates to present statutory copyright law, that refers to "limitations &
exceptions".

reinier