[pp.int.general] philosophy vs. action

Richard M Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sun Jan 18 04:43:36 CET 2009

    Havin said that, I disagree with the perception that software patents are
    essentially different.

Patents on software techniques are counterproductive to progress
because software development requires combining thousands of
techniques.

Patents on software techniques are an injustice because they restrict
every computer user.  In fields where this does not occur, fields
where patents restrict only specialized businesses, we can consider
patents as just an economic issue.  Software is not such a field.

Playing "devil's advocate" within a political group is harmful because
it creates dissention within the group.  Those responsible for
debating with an enemy need to study the enemy's possible arguments
and develop responses to them, but that is a specific tactical task.
Playing "devil's advocate" does not help you do that.