[pp.int.general] philosophy vs. action

Ray Jenson ray.jenson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 16:59:38 CET 2009

Richard M Stallman wrote:
> Playing "devil's advocate" within a political group is harmful because
> it creates dissention within the group.  Those responsible for
> debating with an enemy need to study the enemy's possible arguments
> and develop responses to them, but that is a specific tactical task.
> Playing "devil's advocate" does not help you do that.

It's lengthy, it's wordy, but it's my thoughts on this subject so far.

I respectfully disagree with you on this point, rms: playing the
"devil's advocate" (so long as it is known that this is what you're
doing, and not simply a method of antagonism) is ultimately productive
because the specific tactical tasks can benefit from the same processes
that make open standards attractive: more minds focusing on the same task.

However, for everyone else, I have to agree with rms in that in this
case it was merely confrontational and thus counterproductive. Claiming
that this is what you were doing all along after the fact smacks of an
excuse to look good when you change your opinion but you don't want to
give someone else the satisfaction of being right... in some cases, this
is necessary, but we're all friends here. There's no need for
confrontation or antagonism. And once our collective egos get out of the
way, we may find that we have more in common.

In the overall argument, I would have to say that both philosophy AND
action are required. We must understand the philosophy and in this way
we know what actions will be most effective. The actions then reinforce
the philosophy when both are correct.

Notice I didn't say "right" anywhere in that last paragraph. The word
"right" in English implies a judgment, while "correct" implies adherence
to a standard. In this case, a philosophical standard is the one being
discussed. This necessarily implies an ethical standard. Therefore, the
ethics of piracy are precisely what are at stake, and changing the
subject to imply that ethical arguments should be or are legal arguments
is neither productive nor logical. We are therefore led back around in a
circle to the difference between "justice" (what is "correct") versus
"legality" (what is "right"). This is a long debate, and one which may
ultimately be fruitless because in the history of mankind it has never
been settled to everyone's satisfaction.

Just my two cents' worth of thought. The opinions expressed here are my
own, and if you don't like it you can go straight to Hell. Norway's in
the midst of winter at this time of year, so it's frozen over. And I
hear that the train rates from Trondheim aren't that expensive for a
round-trip ticket ("to Hell and back"). Sounds like a great place for a
Pirate convention. Well, except the lack of a solid convention centre.
Imagine: "They said the Pirates can go to Hell. And so we're going."

How's that for changing the subject?

--Ray Jenson
  PPUS