[pp.int.general] philosophy vs. action

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Fri Jan 16 17:17:22 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
> *We* badly need some sort of "fair use" regulation, instead of the
> present law that considers all copying (even of my own legally
> objtained CDs onto a MP3 player!) "reserved" acts in the sense of
> copyright.
*We* (the pirate parties) badly need free non-commercial sharing of
cultural works. Check pirate parties national platforms, and the wiki
page of their ideologies at a glance.
> If the probability to get caught is low, the substance of the threat
> must by very terrifying. Like renowned copyright professor Hugenholtz
> said some years ago: "why not the death penalty"?
If Choruss-like projects have success, the probability of /getting
caught/ will dramatically increase, as such projects have surveillance
as one of their tools.
> Solutions for a more balanced copyright have already been given
> (although admittedly on a fairly theoretical level):
> http://www.ip.mpg.de/ww/de/pub/aktuelles/declaration_on_the_three_step_/declaration.cfm
>
> While this is really a modest approach (within present law!) such
> proposals should not be ignored imho.
About that proposal, I think one of the main issues regarding it -as
I've already stated in former mails- is that it talks about /exceptions/
and /limitations/, where there actually exists a citizens' *right* to
enjoy culture. Talking about citizens' rights as limitations or
exceptions, in my viewpoint, help making public opinion think of actual
rights as /privileges/ conceded by rightholders -and which, as well as
they were conceded by rightholders, would may taken back by them-. Too
risky in my viewpoint.

There is another risk, already analyzed by RMS: that of people being
appeased with /gratix music/ -as some people jokingly describe it,
though it wouldn't be actually /gratix/ if there are levies and such on
the table (I can also eat /gratis/ in famous Madrid's Asador Donostiarra
.... as long as I've previously paid)-, and forgetting the rest of our goals.

By the way, the authorised Spanish translation of that document talks
about author's rights, not about the /c word/. I don't know what the /c
word/ is -within the Spanish legal framework-.
> Perhaps the easiest "counter-philosophy" is top argue that the
> persistent reference to the interests of (allegedly) poor artists is
> false and dishonest: they are only exploited as a pretext for the
> greed of record companies.
As I've repeatedly stated to you: we already do it. Simply, it's not the
only thing we do. And -at least if talking about PIRATA- it won't be the
only thing we do. We are able to follow those advices from you -those,
not others- while still demanding all our goals; are you?

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman