[pp.int.general] philosophy vs. action

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at pr.unimaas.nl
Sat Jan 17 11:19:21 CET 2009

>> *We* badly need some sort of "fair use" regulation, instead of the
>> present law that considers all copying (even of my own legally objtained
>> CDs onto a MP3 player!) "reserved" acts in the sense of copyright.
> *We* (the pirate parties) badly need free non-commercial sharing of
> cultural works. Check pirate parties national platforms, and the wiki page
> of their ideologies at a glance.
It is the same!
>> Solutions for a more balanced copyright have already been given (although
>> admittedly on a fairly theoretical level):
>> http://www.ip.mpg.de/ww/de/pub/aktuelles/declaration_on_the_three_step_/declaration.cfm
>> While this is really a modest approach (within present law!) such
>> proposals should not be ignored imho.
> About that proposal, I think one of the main issues regarding it -as I've
> already stated in former mails- is that it talks about /exceptions/ and
> /limitations/, where there actually exists a citizens' *right* to enjoy
> culture. Talking about citizens' rights as limitations or exceptions, in
> my viewpoint, help making public opinion think of actual rights as
> /privileges/ conceded by rightholders -and which, as well as they were
> conceded by rightholders, would may taken back by them-. Too risky in my
> viewpoint.
You misunderstood the proposal. It relates to the present legal framework,
so it logically uses its terminology. Admittedly, this is only a small step.
But it is *very* realistic. And supported by a large number of critical
copyright experts. And - see above - it may be interpreted in the sense that
non-commercial private copying is permitted.

> By the way, the authorised Spanish translation of that document talks
> about author's rights, not about the /c word/. I don't know what the /c
> word/ is -within the Spanish legal framework-.
Have you seen this footnote? "El documento abierto a la firma, tal como se
indica en la Presentación, es la versión original redactada en inglés." My
knowledge of the Spanish language is very limited, but the German version
contains a footnote at this place explaining than in case of differences,
the signatories of the petition are supposed to have agreed on the English
text.
reinier