[pp.int.general] Joe Biden is an enemy

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Wed Jan 21 17:14:02 CET 2009

Per von Zweigbergk wrote:
> I'd like an answer to this as well. I had heard about the nomination
> of the former RIAA prosecutors to the DoJ posts (via Slashdot as well
> as via Swedish news), but I was not aware of Joe Biden's role in the
> document Reiner posted in the first e-mail of this thread.
Well, while PIRATA is not an US party, we follow news on the Internet,
so we were aware of the lobby being behind the Obama-Biden -I said some
time ago in this list that, while I liked his PRs campaign (including
how his campaign website was done), I wouldn't vote Obama nor McCain-.
And what I pointed out -that Reinier was right on Biden's info, and that
Andrew was right on it being already known- was related to that. Just
take a look at this

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=931BqN77SKs&feature=related

I suggest to forget parties as parties -I think that neither DP or RP
are reliable, each for several reasons (some of them applicable for
both, e.g., when they voted for retroactive pardon for illegal
wiretapping)-, and -remembering that even when Obama & McCain agreed
Paulson Plan, most MPs rejected it (it had to be voted twice, even maybe
three tims)- just focusing on individual US Senators and Congresspeople.
However, I think it's rather a Pirate Party of the United States issue,
to decide how to approach it.
> Remember, this e-mail list is about international cooperation between
> pirate parties. I don't think everyone can be expected to know about
> the political circumstances in different countries. If I list the
> names of some Swedish members of parliament
> I'm sure most of you (Swedish members of the list excepted) would have
> no idea at all about which of these people are sympathetic or
> unsympathetic to the goals of the pirate movement.
Spanish MPs list is shorter: there aren't :) Just to back my statement:

- PSOE can be equated to the Obama-Biden ticket regarding to the fact of
bein backed by /the 1.000/ (levies artists, I gave a video link some
time ago)
- PP supports removing levies ... and private copying -and backs
DRM-like measures-
- IU follows the leader; there is one Senator, Jordi Guillot, who we
believed he was backing more or less our demands ... until he stated
that private copying /was/ and had to be that made from a purchased
original copy -that's not private copying (at least not in Spanish legal
framework), that's backup copying like software's-; if he lessens
citizens' rights on culture, then it's not like if he and we both were
tuned, actually ...
- nationalists vote one thing and the opposite one, depending on which
is the Government's offer; e.g., no one of them opposed 2006's /IP/ law,
and just two of them simply abstained
- Rosa Diez's UPyD may oppose the Government on the levies question
because of being a more popular issue each day that passes ... however,
she stated prior to 2008 General Election -where she became a MP-: "/it
is technically possible nowadays to collect money from whoever
downloading something, it's about collecting money from who does it, and
to not punish who doesn't, and compensate the artist who has his
production and his creation in the Internet/" -she's talking about
*surveillance* (to know who downloads what from where), i.e., goodbye
privacy-; I believe nobody here would feel keen to UPyD's approach ...

To summarize it in one single statement: there weren't votes in Spanish
Congress against a non-legislative proposal demanding the Government to
give censorship powers in the Internet to the pro-/copyright/ lobbies;
that's Spanish political reality, nowadays.
> As such, I would absolutely encourage that the list contains posts
> about politicians being sympathetic or unsympathetic to our issues. We
> should absolutely try to refrain from calling "old news" on some fact
> that might not be generally known. It might be well known to *you*,
> but it might not be to everyone else. I have enough on my mind to try
> to remember how the politicians here in Sweden are acting.
I thought worldwide media had echoed pro-/copyright/ lobby support to
the Obama-Biden ticket. Well, now it's known here for sure.
> Maybe a wiki effort to document these kinds of things could be useful?
May it be a good idea. From the Spanish side, as you see, things are
simpler -though maybe you may want to have some links backing my
statements, in which case (once the wiki page is created) we in PIRATA
would may search for some sources-. Regards,

Carlos Ayala

( Aiarakoa )

Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman